Today I finally released the new version of Mobile Tweete (0.7). Some of you might have noticed that I skipped 0.6 which was never released publicly due to it being a very unstable codebase. It had a whole bunch of new features, but the base code kept erroring out. All of these problems have been fixed in version 0.7.
Mobile Tweete 0.7 has a bunch of new features which I decided made it a much more useable experience. I also tried to listen to comments via search.twitter.com and incorporated a bunch of suggestions from users. The new features in 0.7b are:
- Top menus can now be configured
- Individual Quick Action buttons can be turned on/off
- Tweete now supports ‘profiles’ which apply different settings depending on the device you are browsing from
- Change the colours of Tweete by using the colour scheme picker, or use your Twitter colour settings!
- Ability to turn avatars on/off on the timeline
- Search menu item now – uses search.twitter.com api
- Change how many tweets you want to display on each page (max 200)
- Added themes & users can now develop and submit custom themes for inclusion in Tweete
- Turn the header bar on/off
- The ability to enable a restrictive input box or not. i.e. limit input at 140 chars
- Auto-refresh interval can be specified if you would like the page automatically updated
- Customize the ReTweet syntax
- Reading resume line, this basically adds a line on the /home page which points out where you were up to last time you viewed the page so you don’t re-read old tweets.
For more information, you can check the help pages.
I would love to hear what you guys think about the new version :)
After months of complaining about the lack of features on the official mobile twitter client, and the download overhead of slandr, I decided to write my own mobile twitter client. One that focuses on most needed functionality without the huge download overhead. I call it Tweete.
I’m still working on Tweete, but at the moment I have a beta release running that you are welcome to try out which you can find here: m.tweete.net. I’ve tried to keep the pages fairly light, at the moment each page is around 5k, which is roughly the same as the official mobile twitter client, but Tweete has extra features. Slandr on the other hand is around 25k per page load (last time I checked). My mobile handset browser (WM6 IE) doesn’t support gzipping content, so I’ve tried to make pages as light as possible without gzipping.
To use Tweete, simply login with your twitter login details and away you go; no need to create an account or maintain another password.
Currently the following features are implemented in Tweete:
- Send updates
- User & friends timeline (with pagination)
- View replies
- View direct messages & send direct messages
- Pagination for direct messages & replies
- Mirrored Twitter URL structure
- User profiles
- Follow & Unfollow users
- API Limit handling
The following features are planned:
- Delete tweets & direct messages
And the following may or may not be implemented:
- Customize css colours from twitter account settings
If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to contact me with them (or leave a ticket at the Tweete Trac page) and I’ll see what I can do :)
For those of you who are interested in implementation details; I used the Kohana PHP Framework. Kohana is designed from ground up as a lightweight secure php framework for rapid application development. I have had a look at a number of frameworks for php, and in my opinion, is the most easy and logical to use.